Bloodborne, whose body is ready?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by saskbob, Mar 6, 2015.

1. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

I'm trying to be a little more programmatic is actually making a topic that stays in one place. rather just always treating the shoutbox like a personal blog.

Anyway.... Bloodborne, super excited to have another game from the director of the first two Souls games. Probably everyone has seen a bunch of stuff out there already in the IGN First coverage.

FInally some details have dropped about how co-op works. This the thing I was most worried about because Hidetaka Hiyazaki actually made co-op with friends more difficult with Dark Souls over Demon's. Dark Souls II co-op system was pretty good but he didn't direct so I was worried he might try and make it hard again.

I know some people tend to be masochistic and insist that the souls series is meant to be played solo, but I heartily disagree, when in human form enemies are tougher and do weird things, plus invaders, yay! Some of those guys are all twinked out completely for PvE. Some bosses are a bit easier for sure, but some are actually more difficult (Four Kings for instance). Anyway just inching and exploring through a level with someone is pretty fun.

Here some stuff fairly recent from GamesRadar on the Bloodborne co-op mechanics.

Whose got their preorder ready to rock?
  2. Anim8td_fan

Anim8td_fan Ambassador of Awesomeness Staff Member

I'm ready to die over and over again with this game.
  3. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Bloodborne, yes.
  4. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Me also... warning though... just temper your expectations... this is a triple A game we're talking about here... as good as FROM is I'm sure Sony will have something to do with it being shipped broken and needing patch after patch to get it stable.
  5. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

True, and you'll be happy to know there is a day one patch. Hopefully the server load won't make co-op and versus not work in the first days. The watchword thing is cool though, sounds like it's far easier to just play with a friend without messing with God Rings or fan made mods.

From is more than happy to ship busted stuff as well. Remember Blightown framerates, and unrealized graphical promises in Dark Souls 2. Terrible native resolutions and options on the PC version as well. I'm more worried about the radical departure from the dark fantasy setting, and I hope sony's fingers were well out of it from a game design perspective. Already annoyed to see DLC hats and stuff in the game.
  6. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Lunacy ...

7. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

Normally when you watch something especially combat at 1/4 speed all the flaws come out. This video it looks like ballet when you slo mo it.
  8. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

So, I have the game preordered now... I generally don't do this but I have to get in on the ground floor, otherwise all you crazy guys who love the series way more than I would be waaaaaay ahead of me by the time I decided I'd buy it. Roll on March 27th!
  9. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

ChryZ doesn't preorder.
    Prime likes this.
  10. Anim8td_fan

I picked up the game yesterday and have put in a good handful of hours. I can't say anything about the MP since the servers aren't live yet and I'm forced to play in Offline mode. Although I can give a few of my impressions so far and so far I like it. As expected, its a Demon-ass, Dark Souls game. Its like a re-painted Dark Souls game with some slightly different game play mechanics.

The thing I like the most about Bloodborne is that health items being a rare thing a non-issue as you are given 20 health "potions" really early and are mapped to the Triangle button instead of being in the Consumables menu on the D-pad. Also, I think you can increase that amount but I haven't figured that out yet. Enemies will drop this item too or you can buy it.

Second thing I like about Bloodborne is the main weapon. You can hold up to two weapons in your right hand and two in your left hand. The weapons in your right hand each have two forms that you can easily switch between with a button press (L1) so in a sense you actually have four weapons in your right hand. In addition, all of the weapons in your right hand are all same class of weapons as in the previous games. For instance, one weapon acts like a light rapier sword then switch the mode and it becomes a whip.

If you get killed in this game by an enemy then you need to kill that enemy to regain your blood (this game's version of souls) back which makes killing that enemy so rewarding. But, if you die in the environment like accidentally falling too far then you need to collect your pool of blood like in previous Souls games.

Well, back to seeing that "You Died." screen over and over again.
  11. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I'm so jelly! *wobbles*
  12. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

Any idea of how long before you can summon? I was wondering if there were NPC summons in this game, they haven't shown anything like in previews yet.

Also I assume switching the forms of the weapon is sort of like the the two hand transition.
  13. Anim8td_fan

I haven't seen anything about summoning NPCs.

Its sort of like that because with some weapons both forms can still be a one-handed weapon.
  14. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

[​IMG]
  15. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

Played last night just long enough to make a character, do my obligatory first death, got my starting weapons and poked my way to the second lantern, which was strangely very close to the first one.

It's weird because it while it feels a lot like a souls game in a lot of ways it doesn't. I'm having a hard time judging when I've actually done enough damage for a killing blow without using up my endurance. Made it to the spot where all the townpeople are at the bonfire and was skirting around when I just got massively ambushed. I think it's because the enemies walk around, and in the earlier souls games they stay in one place unless aggroed.

Also feels like the camera is much much tighter. Not sure I necessarily like that. Or it may just feel tight because you can so easily get swarmed and surrounded.
  16. Anim8td_fan

I tried to do some co-op with Alfighter27 and he realized that he wasn't able to buy the necessary MP items after finishing a certain boss. So I guess this means that you need to get to a certain point before you can do co-op with someone. Although, I'm not entirely sure.

*Edit* You actually need 10 Insight before you can buy the co-op items in the hub world.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  17. Moofers

Moofers Moderator Staff Member

I have the collector's edition on the way from Amazon and should have it on Thursday unless I find one in a store today and send that back. We'll see.

Pretty stoked for it though.
  18. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

Yeah it took me forever to realize that there was another, shop/bath in the hub world. Really liking the game so far. Although I have to say so far it's not as creepy as the depths were for me. And not as gross out as I thought it would be either.
  19. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

Hey there must be NPC summons. Fighting the blood starved beast I got summoned and the guy had another dude with him with no name above his head. I think he was someone you come across earlier in the level, so I might go back to him to see what happens.

I think I understand why they force people to have gained 10 insight before you can offer help to people. It's probably partly to insure that people aren't going to get summons that are terrible at the game. Thinking back to Dark Souls it was a little bit the same. You could turn human early in the game and summon but until you beat the Taurus Demon you couldn't get the white soapstone. This seems way more crazy strict though.

EDIT:Okay I found out how to summon NPC's, possible spoilers if you haven't gotten to the Old Yharnam first boss yet, although nothing about where to initially find the NPC
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IUybbgjKHk
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  20. SinfoniaSam

SinfoniaSam Sultan of Sarcasm

This game proves I'm not hardcore enough, damn it's ruthless. Not by cup of tea, I traded it back in for Borderlands.

I guess I'll stick with Barbie for the NES, that's clearly more my speed. ;)