Game Completion Thread 2017

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Boric, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Boric

Boric The Netherfiend Staff Member

Continuing our favorite thread :)

Previous Years:
  2. Boric

1. Dynamite Jack (Steam, 1/1/17, All achievements)

The basic premise is that you're trying to escape some mines where you were imprisoned. You have to outwit guards, turrets and more, while finding tools like flashlights, bombs and keycards. Multiple challenges per level add to the challenge and longevity. This is a great action puzzle game.
  3. Boric

2. Beyond Eyes (Steam, 1/3/17)

This is a tough game to review. It's basically a walking simulator, but with a blind girl, so the world is unveiled by sounds and smells and exploration. It's a beautiful world, relaxing, and uncovering it is amazing. However, on the other hand, it's terribly slow paced, and after a couple hours, feels like it has overstayed its welcome. If you're looking for something to kind of chill out and slowly explore, then this is probably worthwhile, particularly on sale or in a bundle. Otherwise, the novelty of the original concept wears out, and you'll find yourself trudging along no longer wanting to explore, and just wanting to figure out where to go. I want a middle of the road option, but at normal price of $15 I can't recommend it.
  4. Boric

3. Snuggle Truck (Steam, 1/4/17)

A 2D racing game, where you carry a truckful of plushies to DA ZOO without letting them fall out of the truck. The physics and hit detection are really odd, and the graphics are pretty poor. And the interface does not work well with a controller. If they could tighten those up, a sequel could be fun, but I can't recommend this one.
  5. Boric

4. Labyrinthine Dreams (Steam, 1/4/17)

This game tells the story of a girl who doesn't know where she's going in life, and intersperses it with some pretty tricky puzzles. The story isn't amazing, but is good, and the puzzles are solid, and don't overstay their welcome. You'll get about an hour or maybe a bit more out of this.
  6. teran36

teran36 Bronze - Well-known

1- Call Of Duty Ghost

Campaign was pretty good-shame they are not continuing the story
  7. teran36

2- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

I do enjoy the COD singleplayer
  8. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

01. Please, Don't Touch Anything (Steam, 2017/01/09, 2 hours)

I touched everything in this single screen puzzle game about restroom breaks and the resulting demise of all humanity. I found about 8 endings myself and the rest with help. Some of the puzzles are too tricky to figure out, lots of pixel peeping, esoteric hints and clues hidden in plain sight. The soundtrack, humor and creative endings made me go through with it all.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  9. teran36

3- Fallout 4

Finished main story, not sure if I want to pick up dlc
  10. Anim8td_fan

Anim8td_fan Ambassador of Awesomeness Staff Member

1. [PS4] Darksiders 2: Deathinitive Edition (01/14/17)
  11. Boric

5. INSIDE (Steam, 1/18/17, All achievements)

Great game! You can't avoid comparisons to Limbo, but this game has a much bigger scale and it feels like there is a lot more at stake. The puzzles and deaths are all very sensible and a very good challenge without ever being frustrating. The atmosphere throughout the game, including the music and sound effects is top notch. The ending kinda comes out of left field, but there's also a lot of theories about the game and it's meaning, and whether or not there are more undiscovered secrets. The bonus ending is rather enjoyable on it's own. I got about 5 hours out of it. Well worth it.
  12. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

02. STAR WARS Rogue Squadron 3D (Steam, 2017/01/24, 6.9 hours)

Rogue One reminded me how much I loved Rogue Squadron II and III on NGC. The games were so close to the movie in terms of presentation and its locations, that they induced a constant feeling of déjà vu while watching the film. Reflecting on all this, made me realize that I've never played the first game in the series. No N64 at hand, I was thrilled to learn that Factor5 also released on PC back in 1998. Luckily the game was currently on sale 60% off, YOINK. The visuals aged surprisingly well and PC being open to "improvements" made it a joy to play this 19 years old game. Thanks to nGlide, a 3Dfx Voodoo to Direct X wrapper, I could downsample from 4K to 1200p with proper anisotropic filtering for much cleaner and smoother visuals. Whoever published this on Steam and GOG went the extra mile and added a backend for full controller support "out of the box". The gameplay is very arcade, fun and holds up to this day. Rogue Squadron is a 3D third "person" fighter sim with missions in the expanded Star Wars universe. The missions are multi tiered and objective based. This first game wasn't as refined as the follow ups and clearing some missions required serious trial and error. The missions are only 5-10 minutes long, so it's no biggie. The story snippets were full of nice little surprises and fan service. I really enjoyed going back to this series.
  13. teran36

4- Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 campaign

Weird, just weird
  14. Boric

6. Respawn Man (Steam, 1/30/17)

An interesting little puzzle platformer that has you sacrificing lives to progress. Can't jump the spike pit, die there once, then jump safely onto your corpse the next time. Nothing to write home about graphics or sound wise, but a quick little game that doesn't overstay it's welcome. Lasts around an hour.
  15. teran36

5- Bioshock

Still just as fun as the first time I played it.
    used a walkthrough this time so I wouldn't miss anything and still missed an audiolog somewhere
  16. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

03. The Last Guardian (PS4, 2017/02/03, less than 15 hours)

It's really a 9 years kinda game, in the best and worst possible way. The good: insane layers upon layers of polish, the bad: built on a foundation of a dungball like code base. It's beyond me how any of this was suppose to work on PS3. The game got moments of horrible slowdowns and lots of jittery frame pacing. Luckily 90% of the playtime it's all serviceable. That said, it's still one of the best games on the PS4 in my opinion. Team ICO delivered again: amazing level design, detail rich environments, stunning animation, tons of physics, top notch sound design, movie like lighting and a heartwarming story about two unlikely companions. The Last Guardian is a must for fans of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus. Props to Sony for seeing this one through.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  17. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

000001 - Virginia - 10/02/17 - PC DRMFREE - Holy smokes that was great! A lot of good things to it: It's influenced by Thirty Flighs of Loving (they even thank Brendon Chung at the end), It's very pretty and the way it uses interaction especially is really interesting! I'm so glad games like this exist.
  18. teran36

6- Day of the Tentacle
  19. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

04. SUPERHOT (Steam, 2017/02/11, 3 hours)

Bullet time, the first person shooter. Time moves in slow-mo and only speeds up when the player moves. The fire fights are more like puzzles of action movie choreography in which you are the actor and director. The scene snaps out of time lapse once every hostile is taken care of and the whole ballet of death will be replayed in real-time. BUT wait, there's more. The story is told in-game and in the game's menu. The interface is a custom DOS-like EGA ASCII driven OS displayed with CRT like barrel distortion and luminance artifacts. The story telling switches back and forth between this ancient UI and the state of the art 3D rendering in the gameplay portion. The transitions of old and new, the whole presentation goes way beyond necessity and screams 90s demo-scene prowess. Not the longest "campaign", but new modes unlock upon completion and they do extend the replay value. SUPERHOT game, not overly difficult but super enjoyable nevertheless.
  20. Boric

7. Bit Blaster XL (Steam, 2/12/17, All achievements)

This is a decent little shooter. Kind of Asteroids-like, but with power-ups and different ships, though certain power-ups are way better than others. The game also gets extremely chaotic fairly fast, so it's a good challenge. Fun way to burn 15 minutes, every so often.