Game Completion Thread 2017

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Boric, Jan 1, 2017.

1. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

25. Defunct (Steam, 2017/06/04, 1.4 hours)

Your little broken robot character gets left behind, through unfortunate circumstances. Your mother ship continues to cruise through low orbit. The main goal is to catch up and get back on board to fix your crummy unicycle "leg". You can use the terrain and its hills to accelerate, but only by leaning in on the down slope. The physics gameplay relies on building momentum and go fast. It's all a very nice mix of third person platforming and racing. There's really no skill ceiling. Yes, you can fumble your way, all the way, till the end OR you can do it with insane style and crazy tricks. Defunct is very brief game, even though you do cover a lot of ground. It's meant to be replayed for the fun of gameplay, to gain skills and to make it an even briefer game. The graphics are stylized and look like a PS2 era title up-res'd to HD. Sounds kinda bad, but it actually works in favor of the core gameplay. Everything runs super smooth and as fast as greased lightning. They really nailed the sense of speed and flow. The traversal is such a delight in the unique little gem.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  2. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

26. LittleBigPlanet 3 (PS4, 2017/06/08, ~6 hours)

LBP3 is charming as ever. Waiting a bit before jumping in paid off, never had any issues with major bugs I've heard about around its launch window. The new characters helped a lot with dodging franchise fatigue and they added a lot of fresh blood to the gameplay. The new gadgets, Sackboy gained, were also nice additions. The story mode was surprisingly short and merely an introduction of all things new, but enjoyable nevertheless. The devs really offloaded the content creation onto the crowd sourced back-end. Not complaining though, since I never paid full and got the game with PSN+. I'll keep LBP3 installed and check out some user created content in the future.

27. Montaro (Steam, 2017/06/09, 1.5 hours)

You terrorize japanese suburbs as a cheeky shiba inu in this endless runner. Packed with dodge memes, shima pantsu, nice little tunes and fun gameplay. Perfect little palate cleanser, when you got a few minutes to waste. There's really no completion here, for it being endless, so 100% cheevos must do. I'll never understand the Steam ecosystem that spawned around its trading cards. Montaro is 99 cents, it dropped 3 trading cards, each 25 cents when sold, the game almost paid for itself, lolwhat.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  3. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

28. The Turing Test (Steam, 2017/06/18, 7 hours)

This first person corridor puzzler is following the Portal template closely. You go from room to room, solve logic puzzles, which require a little bit of dexterity. The story is, meanwhile, told in conversations between your character and an AI. There's no humor though. The Turing Test is more hard science fiction peppered with existentialism and morality. It all boils down to the human condition in general. I've enjoyed the whole package: the puzzles are very manageable, the writing is great and the voice acting tied everything together. The environment designs reminded me a lot of Interstellar: worn, utilitarian, futuristic, yet believable and lots of grounded NASA resemblance.

4. teran36

teran36 Bronze - Well-known

22- Dragon Quest Heroes 2

Just like the first one, Same Dragon Quest charm
  5. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

29. Nex Machina (Steam, 2017/06/24, 1.7 hours)

There are many twinstick shooters, but few manage to impress as much as Nex Machina. The core gameplay is polished, basic, no frills and super spot on. You transition from "screen" to screen, save the humans, kill all enemies, rinse, repeat. There's the usual crowd control aspect and loads of sensory overload. Housemarque (Super Stardust HD, Resogun, etc) and Eugene Jarvis (Robotron, Smash TV, etc) went all out and the visual voxel mayhem is second to none. The destruction of hostiles and environments is beyond satisfying and such a power trip. The banging synthwave soundtrack just widens the player's grin to a full blown cheshire cat smile. Instant classic.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Prime likes this.
  6. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Nice to see the best threads never die :)

I have too much to list, but the main ones include Breath of the Wild (WiiU), NieR Automata and i'm currently playing through Persona 5 which is just excellent so far :)
  7. Gruel

Gruel Hulkamaniac

Nick's TMNT (360)

This is the Activision published game based on the Nick cartoon that came out around 2010. I started this game a few years ago with my nephew, but the boss designs scared him and we stopped about an hour in, and I finally got around to picking up our save this past week. I saw about a dozen episodes of the Nick cartoon and thought this game captured the look of it well. It is up to a 4 player brawler like the classic Konami games of old, but nowhere near as polished as it is rough in quite a few spots. I still did not mind mindlessly hacking away at foot soldiers, mousers and other baddies while upgrading the turtles between levels. All told it is really short, about 4-5 hours, but I do not regret playing it a bit.
  8. teran36

23- Persona 5

This may be the greatest game ever made.
    That means I really enjoyed it.
  9. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

20 hours in, 1CC'd Experienced, Veteran is unbalanced, recovery after continue without powerups almost impossible toward the end.

30. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4, 2017/07/10), 70 hours, 100%, Plat)

I was sceptical about the premise, when the game was first shown. Especially the robo dinos made no sense to me. The game seemed too serious to roll with Saturday morning cartoon dumbness. Let me cut right to the chase, now it makes perfect sense. One of the driving forces in the story is being as clueless as the main character Aloy and the constant discovery in the quest for answers. The unfolding events are told in such cinematic effortless, it's just a joy to follow Aloy, voice acted by the mighty Ashly Burch, through bad and good times. This open-world action RPG felt like a proper fusion of ARPG, WRPG and JRPG. Projectile based combat against machine is a delight and never got old. Destroying machinery, sparks, smoke, piece by piece, continued to be super satisfying. Melee and fighting humans paled in comparison though. Guerrilla Games did a great job filling the sandbox with distractions and life. I've enjoyed all side quests and small NPC side stories. Horizon Zero Dawn was tons of fun, never over stayed its welcome, even after 70 hours, hell of a console exclusive and definitely a PS4 killer app.

31. Samorost 3 (Steam, 2017/07/23, 4.3 hours)

Amanita Design games are such a treat and this one delivered too. The gameplay remains the proven mix of point'n'click adventure and logic puzzles. Everything is solvable and the difficulty just right. The gorgeous art was never this high res and stunning. The characters and worlds are delightfully animated. The game cracked me up so many times with its adorable humor. The stellar audio design and soundtrack are the icing on the cake. I had a blast playing this one.

32. Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt (Steam, 2017/07/23, 1 hour)

This delightful 8bit JRPG with punchy Speccy color palette is FREE?! You are Princess Remedy in a World of Hurt. Healing people is the battle system. It's done by shooting germs and bacteria with pills and syringes. The whole game is pretty brief, but did I mentioned it's free? It's a charming palate cleanser and really free, ehm, FUN too.

33. Princess Remedy in a Heap of Trouble (Steam, 2017/07/26, 1 hour)

The previous Princess Remedy was so much fun, that I've doubled down and play its sequel back to back. Speccy graphics returned, most of the formula too, although NPCs sport a little more dialog, new locations can be visited. Probably the most meaningful change is that Remedy is able to date certain characters, they tag along and act like a special ability in battle. This one is also short and sweet.

10. teran36

24- Final Fantasy 15

I was worried about this one because of my hatred of ff13.
    but it wasn't that bad
  11. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

34. Clustertruck (Steam, 2017/07/30, 6.4 hours)

You have to survive a certain distance to reach the goal of each level. This is done by 1st person parkouring over a cluster of trucks and yes, it's as high-octane as it sounds. Jumping from truck to truck isn't tricky enough, there's also the environment constantly throwing a spanner in the works. Thanks to the physics, everything is highly dynamic, random and even glitchy. You must, literally and figuratively, think on your feet. The levels only last a few seconds, but they can feel like eternity. It's a fun game, although there's a fair amount of trail and error involved. Some levels you'll ace on the first try and other after 666 million retries. The first 80% of Cluster*ck is a breeze, but the home stretch will drive you up the wall. All puns are intended.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  12. teran36

25- Period Cube Shackles of Amadeus
  13. Anim8td_fan

Anim8td_fan Ambassador of Awesomeness Staff Member

2. [XB1] Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

3. [PS4] Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (03/22/17)

4. [PS4] The Last Guardian (6/10/17)

5. [XB1] Gears of War 4 (8/2/17)
  14. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

35. Shadow Complex Remastered (Steam, 2017/08/12, 7.9 hours)

This metroidvania game aged really well and is still super fun. The production value is definitely in the upper tier for this genre. Not quite triple A, but close. Level design and gameplay abilities bounce of each other rather nicely. There is some backtracking, but it isn't annoying when you get to test drive new gadgets. The story is okay, serviceable enough to keep the show going. Not sure how much or what was remastered, but Shadow Complex runs happily in 4K, looks super clean and anti-aliased. There's some Unreal3 engine related stuttering, when data streaming happens in the background. It's smooth sailing, when everything is loaded into memory and the player traveled the map for a bit.

36. FullBlast (Steam, 2017/08/12, 2.3 hours)

Decent SHMUP, but they stretched its content too thin. The 12 levels should have been 4 with the given variation of enemies, bosses and stage elements. Lots of reuse and recycling, even the metal soundtrack felt like a single track on repeat. The gameplay is solid arcade style shoot 'em up fun, but lacks any interesting scoring or power up mechanics. I've cleared the game once and will probably not return. FullBlast bored me, although it might be a nice beginner's or casual SHMUP.

15. teran36

26- Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

Gonna run through them again, this time on ps4.
    Got to get ready for 3
  16. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

37. Pang Adventures (Steam, 2017/08/18, 4.6 hours)

The balloon popping arcade fun is back and then some. This isn't a straight arcade conversion. They went all out, remade everything and also added new modes. The visuals scale way beyond 1080p. The designs of the cheeky shonen characters are spot on and also very nicely animated. I had a lot of fun going through the "campaign" mode. There are lots of different regions and 100+ single screen levels to clear. The gameplay revolves around popping all balloons on screen, but with various twists to keep things interesting. Pang Adventure shows how to remake a classic arcade game into a great and modern home conversion.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017 at 12:37 PM