Game Completion Thread 2017

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Boric, Jan 1, 2017.

1. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

53. Bound (PS4, 2017/12/25, half a DS4 charge)

It's a neat experience with striking presentation, but the game itself was just okay. The story should have had more emotional impact, but the presentation stomped everything. The ending credits revealed why: tons of demo scene talent and peers were involved. I don't have a PS VR set, but the game offered 3D TV support and it definitely added to the gameplay. The visual depth made the 3D platforming noticeably easier. I've enjoyed my time with Bound, but I'm also glad it came with PSN+. The list price of 20 bucks is a tough sale.
  2. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

54. DoDonPachi Resurrection (Steam, 2017/12/26, 3.4 hours)

The ports of DonPachi and DoDonPachi on the original PlayStation hooked me on bullet hell SHMUPs and I love them to this day. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about Resurrection aka DaiFukkatsu. CAVE went so over board, it's almost only palatable for the hardest of hardcore CAVE fans. The unnecessary anime chick boss battles, which replaced the awesome military tech bosses of previous games, WHY? I don't mind anime chicks in STGs, but they're so out of place here. The difficulty jump from Novice to Normal isn't very reasonable. I've 1CC'd Novice on my third try, but then Normal hauled me over the coals. The inclusion of 8 (!) arrange modes is nice, but it's ultimately still the same game with minor changes. DDPR might be perfect for a few people, but I'm not one of them.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  3. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

55. Doki Doki Literature Club (Steam, 2017/12/27, 5 hours)

Play this, blind if possible, don't stop until you see ending credits. The game is free on Steam. It's a Visual Novel with excellent production value, story and characters. I was really impressed by it all. The western based Team Salvato killed it. Disclaimer: This game is not suitable for children or those who are easily disturbed.
  4. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

56. A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build (Steam, 2017/12/27, 2 hours)

Nice little puzzle game in which the player needs to build not "a", but many good snowmen and snowomen. You are required to stack up each snowperson with one small, one medium and one large snowball. Sounds easy enough, but roll around too much and you end up with two large balls, oh no. Luckily you can undo moves or completely reset the current puzzle. The whole experience is pretty brief and the difficulty somewhat casual. The presentation, especially the animation is charming and needlessly delightful: you can even hug each snowperson, if so inclined.

5. teran36

teran36 Bronze - Well-known

39- Bad Apple Wars

Another visual novel
  6. teran36

40- Pillars of Eternity

not a very good game mechanically
    but questing is my addiction
  7. teran36

41- Walking Dead Michonne
  8. teran36

42- Walking Dead A New Frontier
  9. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

57. Mirror's Edge (Steam, 2017/12/29, 1.5 hours)

Quick annual revisit and it's still great. I've played this game so many times and almost sleep run through it by now. The setting, traversal and free running remain super fun.
  10. teran36

43- Guardians of the Galaxy

The humor and music make this the best telltale game for me