Review: R-Type Dimensions (PS3)

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Trickman, Jun 18, 2014.

• by Trickman, Jun 18, 2014 at 4:28 AM
  • Trickman

Trickman Admin Extraordinaire Staff Member

R-Type Dimensions is a re-imagining of the classic 2D arcade shoot-em-up (shmup) from 1987. It’s basically a love letter to all fans of the R-Type series of games. Over the years there have been a myriad of sequels and ports to this series, but nothing holds up like the original arcade versions of R-Type and R-Type II. Now that they’ve been given a facelift and more features, it’s time to revisit them once more.

R-Type_2D_Graphics.jpg

R-Type_3D_Graphics.jpg

Back in 1999, ASCII Entertainment released both R-Type and R-Type II for the original PlayStation (PS1). The disc compilation was called R-Types and it was the first time the games were put on a console in their original arcade forms. This was the epitome of the originals and nothing could top it until R-Type Dimensions came out for the Xbox 360 in 2009.

R-Type_Stage_Select.jpg

Now, Tozai has released R-Type Dimensions on the PS3 with even more improvements. Just like the Xbox 360 version, the game gives you the ability to switch the graphics from modern HD to retro (original) and back again on the fly. However, the PS3 version offers even more bang for your buck this time around including all new audio tracks (played in the modern HD game), infinite mode (unlimited lives), level select, slow motion, player stats, trophies, worldwide leaderboards, and multiplayer (2-player couch co-op mode), which is by far the best and most dramatic change to the game. It really helps when you’re blasting the Bydo Empire to smithereens together with a buddy!

R-Type_Local_Co-op.jpg

If you’re looking for the definitive versions of R-Type I and II, this is it. Being a huge fan of the originals, this is a worthwhile game to own. All of the improvements and new features added, especially 2-player mode—which is a huge game-changer—make this reboot well worth your time. Highly recommended.

R-Type2_City.jpg

Developer/Publisher: Tozai Inc.
    Price: $9.99 on PSN
    Players: 1 or 2

For more info, visit http://www.rtypedimensions.com/ps3/
    Prime and Randum like this.
  • Categories: Uncategorized

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Trickman, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Trickman
    Prime, Boric and Randum like this.
  2. ChryZ
    I just cleared both games of Dimensions, it's a nice package but one thing really rubbed me the wrong way: they messed up the side scrolling, there's constant judder like if the game renders at 57Hz and is displayed at 60Hz. It's also not performance related, the stutter is constant in both 2D and 3D mode. It drove me so nuts that I even checked that my TV was set to game mode (no image processing). I also got the PS1 release of R-Types on my PS3 that I picked up from the Japanese PSN store and the emulated PS1 release got silky smooth scrolling in sync with my 60Hz TV. Being a purist I'd prefer PS1's R-Types if I had to pick.
  3. Trickman
    Odd, I never noticed the judder (jitter? stutter?) I'll have to check it out again and see what you mean.