Streaming Music Has Left Me Adrift

Discussion in 'ABOG Podcast' started by Trickman, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Trickman

Trickman Co-Founder of this glorious place Staff Member

2. Boric

Boric The Netherfiend Staff Member

Some interesting points... but I can't help but think how much of a hipster this person is. Oh no, other people can easily find and enjoy the music I like, and that makes the fact that I like it, and am embedded in the culture less valuable.

Oh no, I'll have to actually talk with someone for a while about music to find out if they're worthy of being my friend or if they're just a poser about the one thing that matters in the way I make friends and lovers (like seriously, he makes the point about this too much).

Intense!

From my perspective, introducing more people to something I enjoy or find worth in, is a big part of my hobby. Whether or not they enjoy or appreciate it or are as embedded in the culture the same way or not.

I mean, I'm sure people who are more into the music scene would be more in tune with this. But I find it hard to correlate to video games culture (well at least for myself). It would be like me saying I found this obscure flash game, and only hangout with other people who enjoy obscure games who spent the time struggling through the internet to find it. But now that there's Steam, and anyone can play my favorite obscure game, I don't know how to make friends anymore.

Though there are plenty of gamers who think they're better than those casual "gamers". I guess it's just a state of mind and a matter of what you find important.

Thoughts?
  3. Fivespot

Fivespot ABOG Podcast

I think this entire article sounds like a grandpa shaking his cane and saying "You kids don't know music like I do." I kind of get his point however. The social experience with music has changed a lot and if you like it the old way and can't embrace the new way, I can understand being curmudgeon about it.

Fact of the matter is the music industry has changed drastically in recent years. MP3's, Napster and the internet flipped the entire structure on it's tail and it's never been the same since. Everyone involved makes much less money now-a-days. Even the biggest players. So they tour and sell T-shirts at $40 a crack to make a better living.

But that's not the point I suppose. He internalized the whole thing. I could have taken a similar approach as I can fondly recall the olden times he's referring to but rather I've embraced the changes. Yes having access to every song on our phones could be a bad thing but obviously it's also AMAZING! I'm a monthly subscriber I love it so much. And yet I still have my record collection and still have friends over and spin, share and talk records. I get the best of both worlds I suppose. I also started doing a music / gaming podcast and often meet new friends with similar music tastes through that vehicle.

Embrace it dude. Embrace how technology can enhance your music lifestyle rather than mire in a time gone by. If only the film High Fidelity were real, we could suggest this author get a gig there.
  4. Trickman

Trickman Co-Founder of this glorious place Staff Member

It does come off as a bit whiny, that's for sure. Not saying this guy was a genius or anything even close; more or less, he brought up a few pretty decent talking points and that's about it. The changes in the industry throughout the decades have been massive, and yes it's an entirely different animal now. That's kind of what I got out of it. But, yes...he could've presented it better without looking like the old man telling those "whippersnappers" to get off his lawn.