Where does Bloodborne rank for you out of the 4 Souls-type games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by saskbob, Apr 6, 2015.

1. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

For me as I get further and further into the game, I find every plus to the game has a minus.

For instance, it has just stellar melee combat which is also fun, BUT that is the only way to you can play the game. In the other games you could play a naked build with a super quick roll as well, HOWEVER you could also play as a tank build, as a ranged build, as a magic or pyro user and maybe each of those might be more boring than the melee build on it's own, you could freely swap in and out if those builds.

The graphics are incredible and so also is the atmosphere, BUT it feels like there are really only 2-3 environments in the whole game. I'm either in some forest environment or I'm in an endless series of gothic chapels and cathredral spires. I think the amount of doors and gates that do nothing just add to the confusion. In none of the other games do I remember having to consult a wiki to see what a key does. Maybe to find a key. The worst culprit I can think of in the earlier games was Dark Souls II branch of yore, that's about it.

Also the Bosses, the Souls series always gets derided for it's (AttackTheButt for Everything) but it still has Sif the Wolf, Seeth the Scaleless, The Armor Spider, Gape Dragon etc etc etc. Orstein and Smaugh!!!! Just think about it and how crap in comparison the Bloodborne bosses are.

Anyway strangely enough, I think this game is worthy of it's high acclaim but I still have to rank all the other games ahead of it. I have not quite finished it yet but from my understanding I am about 80% through.

Dark Souls > Demon's Souls > Dark Souls II > Bloodborne
  2. Goffey

Goffey Interactive Distractions

Well considering I didn't play Demons Souls too much and didn't touch Dark Souls 1 or 2....this takes the number one spot by default.

I do REALLY like the game though.....pretty much everything about it. I'm hopeing to beat it by the end of this week before I leave on vacation for a week.

This game grabbed me after about 2 hours in...and I like how we have 3 of us that are kinda going through the game together....I think that limits the stress I'd normally have with it.
  3. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

I love them all for different reasons, excluding DS2 since I haven't played it yet.
  4. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I'm unsure where they rank, I've played and completed Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls, I've not completed Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne though. Bloodborne is definitely in terms of its gameplay and setting the most unique - I'm enamored by the Cthulhian/eldritch vibe. Not enough games use Lovecraftian mythos as a basis, and those that do rarely get the tone and feel of despair and futility right, it feels like an old school pen and paper RPG with its imagination. Bloodborne nails that, the amount of hidden side-stuff in there as well as lore based in the items and the architecture of the world in general, it has so much in there that to boil the game down and compare it to the previous games in various categories seems to miss the point of it existing entirely.

That being said I still love Demon's Souls and Dark souls, like ChryZ said, for different reasons. That and Bloodborne's trick weapons are so awesomely kick ass, and the combat as a result is so different from its predecessors I can't help but look forward and be hopeful to see a possible sequel, just to see how they can change it up even more!
  5. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

I definitely think the Lovecraftian stuff is very good, it just doesn't need to be so bloody impenetrable. For instance, the notes you read could give you just a bit more info than one sentence about a paleblood blah blah blah.

I've also had a few good creepy moments like when you see what is actually attached to the hand that grabs you and the hammer horror-esque witches abode, I just expected it to be a lot more unsettling overall. There is nothing so far that has had my heart in my throat like when I fell down that hole in the sewer and was face to face with a curse frog.

The other thing is I have only been invaded two or three times. That can be infuriating for sure, but to me it's an awesome part of playing the game online and suddenly I have no fear of it happening even if I hear a Bell Maiden because it just. never. happens. I mean for people that want a real challenge, see how fun Sen's Fortress is playing online as human and battling real players, it's way more satisfying when you reach the top.

Demon's Souls would give you a illustration during loading of an NPC and you'd wonder if that was an enemy NPC or a Friendly. Dark Souls only was loading when you died and when it did it would give you some short cryptic stuff about the world. This game is even missing boss introductions for 75% of the bosses. You sort of stumble on them and they just shamble up and start fighting you.

Trick weapons are cool as well, but in practical usage are they that unique? Every trick weapon is basically 2 of the souls games base weapons fused together. The Hand Axe/Halberd, the Greatsword/Longsword. I love the evolution and that now I can carry around basically 4 weapons mapped to the right d-pad and swapped with L1, but even the combat animations are the same as the previous games.

Just to surmise, as far as world it's fantastic. I just really expected more stuff than there is from the guy responsible for Demon Souls and Dark Souls. I'm sure there is stuff held back for DLC, and that's okay because there is tremendous value for money in this game.
  6. Randum

Randum Car Junkie

I am straight up addicted to this game. I originally was skeptical, and had some similar opinions on the setting - thinking it was all the same etc. But once you get a few boss battles in - I was just sold on the whole game. The upgrade system, the boss encounters, the Labyrinth stages - just really fun and very "old school in a new school shell" if you ask me.

I really only played Demon Souls, and I didn't even beat that game. I never enjoyed how ambiguous it felt. I never felt like I was making progression. But now I think it was just because I am so used to games just spoon feeding you the controls/concepts. In Bloodborne (and Im sure Demon/Dark souls1/2) you basically learn by trial and error. Not to mention all the "notes and hints" are written as if they are in the world. Not as simple as "Push L1 as soon as you see this". Some weird reason I enjoy this. The game is built to make you repeat steps, or fail/die. In the same way Super meatboy grabbed us with failure - this game is similar. Also the risk/reward is great. You could spent an hour, just to die and then never reclaim all the blood you gained! BUT you did game some knowledge on the area you are exploring.

Also regarding layouts and maps, I highly suggest NOT using a map, and try to remember/retrace your steps and you can learn the layouts much faster. Use the wiki/strat guides AFTER you mapped it out yourself and it will be a lot more enjoyable.

I did purchase the strategy guide on Amazon - and if you are into this game, I highly recommend it as a nice added bonus when working your way through. I have used it in a couple tight spots, but mainly I like to finish a section, and then read up on what the guide points out, or maybe some interesting tid bits on weapons. Not to mention the art in the book is really cool.
    Prime likes this.
  7. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I'm actually in love with this game. It's this generation's Bionic Commando for me. I'm sorely tempted to say it's the best game I've ever played, period. And knowing no game has ever beaten Bionic Commando in that regard for me should be the highest of compliments.

You're all saying "of course, Bionic Commando was crap." not to me it isn't. Bionic Commando for me is to games what the original Total Recall is for movies. Crazy fun fueled mayhem that has its flaws but ultimately the experience is just plain sublime.

Bloodborne takes the eldricth, Lovecraftian mythos, slams it together with unforgiving cycles of rebirth and failure. Combines that with the feeling of despair Silent Hill brings to the table - not the horror, but the feeling of "dread", that "futility" in the fight. The despair that comes from the inevitability of the enemies ultimate success, not JUST from your failure. Bloodborne too, is also sublime.

As much as I loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls it just didn't grab me anywhere near as awesomely as Bloodborne has. It's the gothic setting, the plague turning men into beasts. The Choir, Mensis, The Healing Church, Byrgenwerth, The Vilebloods, The Old Ones and the commoners trying to stay safe in the city. All of these high end concepts work together in concert, telling the story of one city and its surrounding areas. The level design is some of the best I've ever seen, progression is a gradual learning from infancy into a full fledged Hunter taking down Giant Wolf-men and Eyeball covered swine.

It's streamlined. No more equipment burden, no more looking for the right shield. In fact, you'll probably only use a couple of weapons throughout a single playthrough due to the fact that each main hand weapon has almost a dozen or so applications in combat. Sure you can't hide behind your bulwark of imminent justice, but I also think that was a very poignant method of trying to show you how fragile your life was in the face of such odds. There's a shield in the game, and in the description it says:

"A crude wooden shield used by the masses who have arisen to join the hunt. Hunters do not normally employ shields, ineffectual against the strength of the beasts as they tend to be. Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity."

The game is from top to bottom designed very purposefully. I don't think anything was left out or placed in by mistake. From the monster designs, to the setting to the hunter you play as yourself. Next time you do a visceral attack, you watch that hunter's hand.

This game by all counts is as best designed as they come.
    Randum likes this.
  8. Randum

Randum Car Junkie

+1 Prime, well stated! When I complete the game, I may end up agreeing with you!
  9. Moofers

Moofers Moderator Staff Member

My list goes:

Dark Souls 2
    Demon's Souls
    Bloodborne
    Dark Souls

In order of best on top, worst on the bottom. I missed the different weapons and variety the other games had, but then again it didn't have any bullshit levels like Lost Izalith so I'm putting it ahead of Dark Souls 1, which I sort of hate for its lousy 2nd half.